Utility Training Group
For the March/April 2020 Session, this class will follow an Open Floor format as a drop-in class. Cost will be $5 per class.
Next Session begins March 5th, 2020
Utility Class is for the dog and handler who want to train for competitive obedience at the Utility level. The Utility exercises will be introduced and it is recommended that all equipment for the exercises be brought to class (scent articles, gloves).
- Thursday Afternoons 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
- Instructor: Carol Harrison
- Prerequisites: CDX or actively competing Open obedience or by approval by the instructor.
- Class Registration Form
- Class Policies
Utility Exercises Include:
- Signal Exercises – Dogs respond to signals – no voice commands allowed
- Scent Discrimination – Dog finds handlers scent among a pile of similar articles (dumbells)
- Directed Retrieve – Dog follows a hand signal, retrieves a specified glove, and delivers it to the handler
- Moving Stand and Examination – The dog must heel, stand, and stay as the handler moves away and stay and be examined by the judge before returning to the handler
- Directed Jumping – the dog must go away from the handler, turn and sit, and return over a specified jump